Thank you to our Volunteer Partners!
- Information Session: About Volunteering
- Signing up to tutor with HMT? Here’s what you can expect from signup to startup!
- 21-Day Racial Equity Challenge with United Way of the Central Carolinas
- Latest Updates for Heart Tutors
- Upcoming Heart events!
- Educating Ourselves on Issues of Race
- HeartThrob 2020
- Hear from a Heart Tutor!
- Speaker at The Charlotte Justice Conference
- An Interview with a Volunteer: Adam Schauer
- Join Us for Our Volunteer Kickoff Party!
- 2019 Math Perspectives Summer Institute: A New Resource Series!
- ‘What Is Heart Tutoring?’ Webinar
- Upcoming Heart events!
- Recruitment Season Tips
- The Tutor Referral Contest – June 1-30
- Math Madness (in March)
- 2018 NC Council of Teachers of Mathematics Conference
- Seek First to Understand…
- Volunteer Recruitment Kickoff – Volunteers needed in the 2018/19 School Year!
- Volunteer Recruitment Tools
- CMS Releases “Breaking the Link” Equity Report
- Heart Math Tutoring Featured on Spectrum News for Giving Tuesday
- Heart Math Tutoring Featured on WBTV
- Tutor Recruitment Kickoff and Tools – Volunteers needed in the 2017/18 School Year!
- The Year Ahead: Community Support Enables Heart Math Tutoring To Expand Reach, Impact
- HEART Tutoring Moves To New Office
- Monthly Volunteer Notables – OCTOBER
- Monthly Volunteer Notables – NOVEMBER
- April – HEART Notables
- February – HEART NOTABLES
- 2014 Work Begins
- There’s One Key Difference Between Kids Who Excel at Math and Kids Who Don’t
- December – HEART NOTABLES
- HEART Holiday Breakfast for Parents
- November – HEART NOTABLES
- October – HEART NOTABLES
- Malleable intelligence
Welcome Heart Tutors! We are thankful for participation in Heart Math Tutoring this school year. This page is dedicated to you. Here you will find tutoring updates, along with optional resources that you can use both on your own and with other tutors.
HMT Volunteer Portal (password protected)
We are actively recruiting tutors for the 2021/22 school year! If you haven’t already, sign up to tutor and see below for more information to help spread the word.
Help Recruit Volunteers:
If you are interested in supporting our recruitment efforts, please check out the resources here and help us spread the word to your friends and family, place of work, faith group, or other organization!
Barring unforeseen circumstances, the majority of tutoring will take place in-person in Charlotte, North Carolina, but tutoring at select school sites will be fully virtual. You can select your setting by choosing an in-person or virtual school in our online signup form. Over 1,000 tutors will be needed for the 2021/22 school year; sign up here to tutor in 2021/22!
Community Building with Other Tutors:
- Connect with us on social media via Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Join our Heart Tutoring Facebook group!
On Your Own:
- You can refer to our monthly emails for Tutor Tips!
- Check out these Student Engagement Resources
- If you would like to receive additional information and resources through our Deeper Dive newsletter, please email email@example.com to subscribe!
- Visit Heart’s Blog to read latest news!
- Read notes from the 2019 summer training with Kathy Richardson!
- Check out our Motivational Strategies for Students
- Read our Curriculum Notebook Overview
- Read Mathematical Mindsets by Jo Boaler
- Read Color and Character: West Charlotte High and the American Struggle over Educational Equality
by Pamela Grundy
“Thank you!” from last year’s families and teachers!
We love our volunteers! During the 2020/21 school year, nearly 1,000 Charlotte community members participated in our first-ever year of fully virtual tutoring to support students across Heart Math Tutoring’s 19 school partners, helping them build the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success.
- “My child loved going to tutoring! Such a great resource for students and parents (especially during a pandemic and online schooling)! Thank you so much for helping her.” – Family of a 3rd grader at Pineville Elementary
- “This is a fun math learning experience outside of the classroom. They work one-on-one with a tutor in a relaxed environment. My child loved it, saw lots of improvement in his math skills, and thought it was lots of fun.” – Family of a 4th grader at Cotswold Elementary
- “It is great support for any student regardless of learning skills and abilities. They teach the students so many strategies. My child loves it.” – Family of a 2nd grader at Charles Parker Academic Center (Formerly Barringer)
- “The staff at Heart [Math Tutoring] were extremely kind and caring. They took interest in all of our students and built connections with them. I saw my students gain confidence in their abilities to solve math problems. HMT is a wonderful program for my students.” – 2nd grade teacher at Myers Park Traditional School (2020/21)
- One of my students who was not predicted to pass their end-of-grade exam (EOG) worked with Heart Math Tutoring this year and passed!!! VERY exciting and I do think the foundational skills practiced at tutoring helped fill in the gaps to make that happen. – 5th grade teacher at Huntingtowne Farms Elementary