Heart Math Tutoring: The Formula for Classroom Success
July 21, 2016
NC State Philanthropy Journal News
By Emily Elliott
“A sixth-grade girl experiencing homelessness in Charlotte in 2009 remarked over dinner, “I swear, sometimes my school feels invisible.” Investigating further, I saw that less than half of the students were performing on grade level at the time in this child’s school. At the time, I was an investment banking analyst and soon became a volunteer tutor in this child’s school. Immediately I saw the tremendous impact on students’ skills and confidence when they are given one-on-one attention. Irritated upon learning that many students across the nation are progressing to subsequent grades without the necessary skills, and recognizing how different this practice was from my own upbringing and opportunities, I transitioned from finance into teaching…”
Continue reading here: http://pj.news.chass.ncsu.edu/2016/07/05/heart-math-tutoring-the-formula-for-classroom-success/.
- Blog (235)
- Events (26)
- Grants and Funding News (32)
- Heart Families (9)
- Heart News (148)
- Heart Staff (16)
- Math Matters (34)
- Press (60)
- Student Spotlight (1)
- Uncategorized (40)
- Volunteer Partners (6)
- Volunteer Resources (37)
- Volunteer Spotlight (45)
- Celebrate Ten Years and Counting with HMT!
- National Education News Source, The 74, Features Heart Math Tutoring
- Heart Volunteers are Excited to Begin Tutoring!
- WBTV Features Heart Math Tutoring on QC Morning
- 2023/24 Volunteer Recruitment Kickoff- Sign up to tutor today!
- Meet HMT Program Coordinators Cara Maddox & Heather Smith!
- Interested in tutoring with HMT in Winston-Salem? Here’s what you can expect from sign up to startup!
- Interested in tutoring with Heart Math Tutoring in Charleston? Here’s what you can expect from sign-up to start-up!
- Interested in tutoring with HMT in Charlotte? Here’s what you can expect from sign up to startup!
- 2022/23 Program Results