Math Tutoring At High-Poverty Charlotte Schools Gets Boost From Duke Energy
June 3, 2015
Heart is thrilled to share that we are expanding our programs in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, thanks to a $8,000 grant from Duke Energy Foundation.
“Math skills that students learn at a young age serve as a foundation block for their entire education career,” said Stick Williams, Duke Energy Foundation president. “Those skills advance other academic pursuits and help our young people meet and overcome new challenges as they prepare for the future.”
“Lack of math proficiency can become a barrier to a student’s academic confidence,” said Emily Elliott, executive director of Heart Math Tutoring. “Math deficiencies also affect high school graduation rates and future job opportunities.”
The Duke Energy Foundation grant will support program expenses at one of our school sites, where 50 students, in grades 1-5, receive one-on-one instruction from a volunteer.
“We’re very excited that Duke Energy Foundation has chosen to support Heart, and we’re encouraged by the shared focus on K-12 education for underrepresented groups, particularly in the areas of math and science,” Elliott said. “Financial contributions like Duke Energy’s make it possible for us to do this important work.”
Read the full press release here.
Blog, Grants, Grants and Funding News
- Blog (216)
- Celebrations (42)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (18)
- Events (18)
- Grants (22)
- Grants and Funding News (32)
- Heart News (162)
- Heart Staff (12)
- Math Matters (45)
- NAEP (1)
- Parent Resources (7)
- Press (46)
- Uncategorized (55)
- Video (16)
- Volunteer Resources (42)
- Volunteer Spotlight (44)
- Heart Math Tutoring Receives $250,000 Grant from Accelerate and Participates in Tutoring Evaluation Accelerator
- Thank You Thursdays! Happy Volunteer Appreciation Month
- Student Spotlight- KIPP Change Academy
- Volunteer Spotlight: Recognizing Freedom School Partners
- Thank you for your generous year-end support!
- Heart Math Tutoring in the Media!
- CMS School Board Election Information
- 2022 Annual Report
- Volunteer Spotlight: Crystal Stroupe
- HMT Upcoming Events