Latest Updates for Heart Tutors
October 19, 2020
We are so grateful for everyone who has signed up to be a Heart tutor this year! We are keeping tutors updated through email aswe finalize the details of our virtual tutoring model.Our latest updates are below. If you have signed up to tutor and aren’t receiving these emails, please contact Tayler Fisher. If you haven’t yet signed up to tutor for the 20-21 school year, you can do so here!
Tutor Training – Action Needed!
Training for Heart tutors will look different from previous years. Tutors will complete the following steps for training:
Step 1 – Complete the Heart 101 Module – click here to complete it! This module should take about 30 minutes, and helpful tips to complete the module are listed below. If you exit the module before completing it, your progress will be lost, so please be sure you have at least 30 minutes to watch the entire module. You must complete this module in order to be matched with your students! If you have any issues or concerns, email Tayler Fisher.
- When asked to provide a “nickname”, please type your first and last name
- Click on the Heart 101 Module video to begin viewing, and answer the questions that pop up to the right of your screen as you go through the module
- If you are unable to access the module using the link above, try copying & pasting this into your browser’s address bar: https://edpuzzle.com/assignments/5f85bf4326fc1540da739525/watch
- Using your smartphone? If you are accessing the module on your mobile phone, you will be prompted to download the free Edpuzzle app and enter the Open Class code: zipuwuf
Step 2: After completing the module, you have the choice to participate in an optional small group technology training.
Step 3: You will then participate in a required live, virtual orientation in small groups, when you will run through a mock tutoring session to familiarize yourself with the materials and technology.
CMS approved additional modifications to the CMS Transition Plan for In-person and Remote Instruction (Plan B) so that K-5 students will be divided into two groups. The first group of students will come to school on Monday and Tuesday of each week, while the second group will come on Thursday and Friday of each week. Wednesdays are designated as remote-instruction days for all students.
Heart Tutoring will be conducted virtually for the entire school year. Heart staff members are meeting regularly with principals of our school partners to determine what time of the day students will be tutored and whether virtual tutoring will occur when the student is at home or when they are at school. We are encouraged by the latest CMS plans and confident that we will still provide a quality tutoring experience for both students and volunteers this year.
We are currently collecting student permission forms and completing program pre-assessments.
We still anticipate that most tutors and students will begin tutoring sessions in November, with some starting sooner or later, per the onboarding process below.
We appreciate your flexibility and understanding! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact Tayler Fisher or anyone on our team.
- Blog (211)
- Celebrations (42)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (18)
- Events (18)
- Grants (22)
- Grants and Funding News (31)
- Heart News (161)
- Heart Staff (12)
- Math Matters (45)
- NAEP (1)
- Parent Resources (7)
- Press (45)
- Uncategorized (48)
- Video (16)
- Volunteer Resources (40)
- Volunteer Spotlight (40)
- 2021/22 Program Results
- April: Volunteer Appreciation Month!
- Staff Spotlight: Meet Greg Okotie
- Refer a Friend!
- A Word from Heart Teachers
- Thank you, Cydney Kramer!
- 2021 Holiday Festivities!
- How is Virtual Tutoring Going?
- Calling all Volunteers in Charleston, SC!
- New Partner Alert: Equitable Foundation!