Volunteers – An Untapped Resource
September 15, 2014
Volunteers can be a powerful source of academic support for struggling students – on a widespread scale. Here are some programs doing it well, and the work is still ahead of us.
“Slavin believes that community volunteers should be a part of a tiered system of tutoring that employs volunteers, paraprofessionals and, for kids who need the most help, certified teachers. “But … You’d need an army of volunteers to work with the number of kids struggling in schools.”
That army exists, said Lombardo. “This is the slumbering giant of human capital. Eighteen million Americans volunteer in the public schools. And that number would be even bigger if volunteers knew they didn’t have to be sharpening pencils — they can be partners in instruction.”
- Blog (235)
- Events (26)
- Grants and Funding News (32)
- Heart Families (9)
- Heart News (148)
- Heart Staff (16)
- Math Matters (34)
- Press (60)
- Student Spotlight (1)
- Uncategorized (41)
- Volunteer Partners (6)
- Volunteer Resources (37)
- Volunteer Spotlight (45)
- 2023 Annual Report
- Celebrate Ten Years and Counting with HMT!
- National Education News Source, The 74, Features Heart Math Tutoring
- Heart Volunteers are Excited to Begin Tutoring!
- WBTV Features Heart Math Tutoring on QC Morning
- 2023/24 Volunteer Recruitment Kickoff- Sign up to tutor today!
- Meet HMT Program Coordinators Cara Maddox & Heather Smith!
- Interested in tutoring with HMT in Winston-Salem? Here’s what you can expect from sign up to startup!
- Interested in tutoring with Heart Math Tutoring in Charleston? Here’s what you can expect from sign-up to start-up!
- Interested in tutoring with HMT in Charlotte? Here’s what you can expect from sign up to startup!