It All Adds Up: End of the Year Results are IN!
June 12, 2019
As we head into the summer, we are thrilled to celebrate the outstanding academic progress made by nearly 1,000 Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) students during the 2018/19 school year. With an increase in students and schools from the 2017/18 school year, tutors were able to help even more students surpass their goals and end the year on yet another high note.
Take a look at some of our results here:
- 98% of 993 Heart Tutoring students met program growth goals in math, growing in two or more building block concept areas.
- On average, students doubled the goal – growing in 4.8 concept areas. The goals were set with guidance from math specialists at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools and UNC Charlotte.
- Students grew from mastering 25% to 57% of the skills needed based on grade-level standards, cutting the skills gap in half.
- 92% of surveyed teachers believe students showed increased confidence/enthusiasm in math as a result of Heart, up 3% from last year.
- 91% of surveyed teachers observed growth in foundational math skills for students enrolled in Heart Tutoring, and 83% believed Heart Tutoring had a positive effect on classwork, class tests, or standardized tests.
- 63% of surveyed teachers said students became more confident and enthusiastic in subjects other than math as a result of the program.
- 99% of 599 surveyed Heart Tutoring volunteers rated their experience as positive, and 96% would recommend the program to friends or colleagues.
“We are extremely proud of our students for building the skills and confidence they need to be successful,” says Emily Gaffney, Executive Director of Heart Math Tutoring. “It truly does take a village to ensure that our students develop the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success. Because of the building blocks developed and experience of success working with tutors, Heart Tutoring students can progress into higher levels of math, meet graduation requirements, and have better access to post-secondary and career opportunities. We owe a huge thank you to this school year’s volunteers, donors, and school partners who made one-on-one instruction possible for so many CMS elementary students!”
Blog, Celebrations, Heart News
- Blog (215)
- Celebrations (42)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (18)
- Events (18)
- Grants (22)
- Grants and Funding News (31)
- Heart News (161)
- Heart Staff (12)
- Math Matters (45)
- NAEP (1)
- Parent Resources (7)
- Press (46)
- Uncategorized (55)
- Video (16)
- Volunteer Resources (42)
- Volunteer Spotlight (44)
- Thank You Thursdays! Happy Volunteer Appreciation Month
- Student Spotlight- KIPP Change Academy
- Volunteer Spotlight: Recognizing Freedom School Partners
- Thank you for your generous year-end support!
- Heart Math Tutoring in the Media!
- CMS School Board Election Information
- 2022 Annual Report
- Volunteer Spotlight: Crystal Stroupe
- HMT Upcoming Events
- Volunteer Recruitment Kickoff – Volunteers needed in the 2022/23 school year!