Interested in tutoring with HMT? Here’s what you can expect from signup to startup!
July 18, 2022
Thinking about becoming a tutor? Please do! Heart Math Tutoring is excited to serve 1,300 students in the 2022/23 school year with the help of 1,500 volunteers giving just one hour per week!
To become a tutor, simply select your preferred tutoring time and location on the signup form, and we’ll pair you with a student! Tutoring begins in late September.
You might be wondering what exactly to expect. Here’s the process from signup to startup:
1. Sign Up: Get started by selecting your tutoring time and location on our website. You’ll select your school, tutoring day of the week, and preferred time. We will send you a copy of the form once it’s submitted.
2. Receive a Welcome Email: The week you sign up to tutor, we’ll send you an email welcoming you to the program and giving you more information to prepare you for tutoring!
3. Receive a Startup Logistics Email: In early September, you will receive an email confirming your school assignment, asking you to complete your CMS Volunteer background check (if you have not done so yet), and inviting you to RSVP for tutor training.
4. Volunteer Background check: Before you begin tutoring you will need to complete your CMS Volunteer background check, an online application that takes 2 minutes to fill out if you have your driver’s license and social security number handy. You must complete your background check before you begin tutoring. You can complete that step here now or wait until you receive your startup logistics email. Be sure to select “Heart Math Tutoring” in the Partnership Organizations dropdown, and select your assigned school when you complete the background check! If you complete the background check before you know your assigned school, you will need to log back in and select your school once you have been assigned.
5. Tutor Training: Orientation sessions begin the week of September 26th. Every HMT volunteer is required to attend orientation, and the trainings will vary based on your HMT tutoring experience! You will receive a link to sign up for your training session(s) in your startup logistics email.
First Year Tutors: First year tutoring with HMT? Welcome! You will attend two one-hour tutor trainings, one virtual (week of September 26th), and one school-specific session (week of October 3rd). For in-person tutors, this second session will be provided at your selected school site. Virtual tutors will be on Zoom with your Program Coordinator. You’ll have two weeks to complete the trainings.
Second & Third Year Tutors: Welcome back! This year you will NOT be required to attend the virtual Part 1 orientation. You will only need to attend the school-specific one-hour training session that will be at your selected school if you are tutoring in person or via Zoom with your Program Coordinator if you are tutoring virtually. Your orientation will be the week of October 3rd.
Four+ Year Tutors: Welcome back and thank you for your continued support of HMT students! This year we are offering a new orientation for our veteran tutors where we will cover a more in-depth look at our curriculum and student engagement. You will attend a 45-minute virtual training session during the week of September 27th or October 3rd.
6. Student Assignment Email: During your training weeks, you can expect an email from your Program Coordinator with more details on the day and time you’ll be tutoring, along with your students’ names! Our team will be working hard administering student pre-assessments and matching students’ schedules with tutor signups until that time.
7. Tutoring Begins: You’ll begin work with your student starting the week of October 10th. Congratulations, you’re officially a tutor with HMT!
If you have any questions during the sign up process, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will be in touch!
See you in September!
Uncategorized, Volunteer Resources
- Blog (215)
- Celebrations (42)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (18)
- Events (18)
- Grants (22)
- Grants and Funding News (31)
- Heart News (161)
- Heart Staff (12)
- Math Matters (45)
- NAEP (1)
- Parent Resources (7)
- Press (46)
- Uncategorized (55)
- Video (16)
- Volunteer Resources (42)
- Volunteer Spotlight (44)
- Thank You Thursdays! Happy Volunteer Appreciation Month
- Student Spotlight- KIPP Change Academy
- Volunteer Spotlight: Recognizing Freedom School Partners
- Thank you for your generous year-end support!
- Heart Math Tutoring in the Media!
- CMS School Board Election Information
- 2022 Annual Report
- Volunteer Spotlight: Crystal Stroupe
- HMT Upcoming Events
- Volunteer Recruitment Kickoff – Volunteers needed in the 2022/23 school year!