Signing up to tutor with HMT? Here’s what you can expect from signup to startup!
July 20, 2021
Thinking about becoming a tutor? Please do! Heart Math Tutoring is currently recruiting 1,400 volunteers to spend one hour per week supporting 1,150 students in the 2021/22 school year! Read HMT’s volunteer recruitment kickoff press release about our community’s need and how Heart Math Tutoring works.
To become a tutor, simply select your preferred tutoring time and location on the signup form as soon as possible, and we’ll pair you with a student! Tutoring begins in late September.
1. Sign Up: Get started by selecting your tutoring time and location on our website (https://heartmathtutoring.org/volunteers/become-a-volunteer/#volunteer). You’ll select your school, tutoring day of the week, and time. We will send you a copy of the form once it’s submitted.
2. Receive a Welcome Email: The week you sign up to tutor, we’ll send you an email welcoming you to the program and giving you more information to build excitement for tutoring!
3. Receive a Startup Logistics Email: In early September, you will receive an email with Startup Logistics, confirming your school assignment, asking you to complete your background check (if you have not done so yet), and asking you to RSVP for tutor training.
1. Background check: Your startup logistics email will include a link to complete your background check for CMS. It is an online application that takes 2 minutes to fill out if you have your driver’s license and social security number handy. You must complete your background check before you begin tutoring.
2. Tutor Training (2 hours): Starting the week of September 27th, you’ll attend two one-hour tutor trainings, one virtual and one in-person at your selected school. You’ll have two weeks to complete the trainings. Most people will do both trainings during the same hour that they selected as their weekly tutoring time, but evening options may also be available for the virtual training.
4. Student Assignment Email: Your Program Coordinator will reach out with more details on the day and time you’ll be tutoring, along with your students’ names, around the same time you complete tutor training! We will be working hard administering student pre-assessments and matching students’ schedules with tutor signups until that time.
5. Tutoring Begins: Training starts the week of September 27th, and you’ll work with your student starting the week of October 11th. Congratulations, you’re officially a tutor with HMT!
You might be wondering what exactly to expect. Here’s the process from signup to startup:
If you have any questions during the sign-up process, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will get in touch!
See you in September!
- Blog (209)
- Celebrations (42)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (18)
- Events (18)
- Grants (22)
- Grants and Funding News (31)
- Heart News (160)
- Heart Staff (11)
- Math Matters (45)
- NAEP (1)
- Parent Resources (7)
- Press (45)
- Uncategorized (45)
- Video (16)
- Volunteer Resources (39)
- Volunteer Spotlight (40)
- Thank you, Cydney Kramer!
- 2021 Holiday Festivities!
- How is Virtual Tutoring Going?
- Calling all Volunteers in Charleston, SC!
- New Partner Alert: Equitable Foundation!
- 2021 Annual Report
- Information Session: About Volunteering
- Heart Math Tutoring Happenings!
- Heart Math Tutoring featured on WBTV
- Tutor Spotlight – Kelsey Noonan