Interested in tutoring with HMT in Charlotte? Here’s what you can expect from sign up to startup!
July 12, 2023
Thinking about becoming a tutor? Please do! Heart Math Tutoring is excited to serve 1,300 students in the 2023/24 school year with the help of 1,500 volunteers giving just one hour per week!
To become a tutor, simply select your preferred tutoring time and location on the Charlotte sign-up form, and we’ll pair you with a student! Tutoring begins in early October. Looking for the sign up to startup process for another location? See our posts for Charleston and Winston-Salem!
We want you to know what to expect when you sign up to tutor with Heart! Below is the process from signup to startup:
1. Sign Up: Get started by selecting your tutoring time and location on our website. You’ll select your preferred school, tutoring day of the week, and time. We will send you a copy of the form once it’s submitted.
2. Receive a Welcome Email: The week you sign up to tutor, we’ll send you an email welcoming you to the program and giving you more information to prepare you for tutoring! If you are a first-year tutor, this email will also give you the opportunity to sign up for your “intro to Heart Math Tutoring” virtual training (see more info below in step 5.)
3. Receive a Startup Logistics Email: In late August, you will receive an email confirming your school assignment, asking you to complete your CMS Volunteer background check (if you have not done so yet), and providing additional information about tutor training.
4. Volunteer Background check: Before you begin tutoring you will need to complete your CMS Volunteer background check, an online form that takes 2 minutes to fill out if you have your driver’s license and social security number handy. You must complete your background check before you begin tutoring. You can complete that step herenow or wait until you receive your startup logistics email. Be sure to select “Heart Math Tutoring” in the Partnership Organizations dropdown and select your assigned school in one of the school selection dropdowns! If you complete the background check before you know your assigned school, you will need to log back in and select your school once you have been assigned.
5. Tutor Training: Every HMT volunteer is required to attend orientation, however, the type and format of the trainings will vary based on your HMT tutoring experience!
First Year Tutors: First year tutoring with HMT? Welcome! You will attend two one-hour tutor trainings, one virtual (offered throughout the summer and early fall), and one school-specific session the week prior to the first week of tutoring.
First Session – “Intro to Heart”: You can click here or use the link you received in your welcome email to sign up for a virtual “Intro to Heart” training that works for you.
Second Session – “Tutoring with Heart”: For in-person tutors, this second session will be provided at your selected school site during your assigned tutoring time the week of October 2nd. Virtual tutors will be on Zoom with your Program Coordinator during your assigned tutoring time the week of October 9th.
Second & Third Year Tutors: Welcome back! This year you will NOT be required to attend the virtual Part 1 “Intro to Heart” orientation. You will only need to attend the school-specific one-hour training session that will be during your assigned tutoring time the week prior to the first week of tutoring. For in-person tutors this session will be at your selected school during the week of October 2nd. For virtual tutors this session will be via Zoom with your Program Coordinator during the week of October 9th.
Four+ Year Tutors: Welcome back and thank you for your continued support of HMT students! This year we are continuing to offer advanced training for our veteran tutors where we will cover a more in-depth look at our curriculum, student engagement, and highlight curriculum updates for the coming school year. You will attend a 45-minute virtual training session prior to your first week of tutoring. These training sessions will be offered throughout the summer and early fall, and you can click here or use the link you received in your welcome email to sign up for a training that works for you.
6. Session Assignment Email: During the week of September 18th you can expect an email from your Program Coordinator with more details on the day and time you’ll be tutoring. Our team will be working hard administering student pre-assessments and matching students’ schedules with tutor signups until that time.
7. Tutoring Begins: In-person tutors will begin working with students starting the week of October 9th, and virtual tutors will begin working with students the week of October 16th. Congratulations, you’re officially a tutor with HMT!
If you have any questions during the sign up process, please reach out to us at email@example.com and a member of our team will be in touch!
See you soon!
- Blog (237)
- Events (27)
- Grants and Funding News (32)
- Heart Families (9)
- Heart News (148)
- Heart Staff (16)
- Math Matters (34)
- Press (60)
- Student Spotlight (1)
- Uncategorized (42)
- Volunteer Partners (6)
- Volunteer Resources (37)
- Volunteer Spotlight (46)
- Tutors Share Why They Love to Volunteer with Heart
- HMT Information Session for Prospective Tutors
- 2023 Annual Report
- Celebrate Ten Years and Counting with HMT!
- National Education News Source, The 74, Features Heart Math Tutoring
- Heart Volunteers are Excited to Begin Tutoring!
- WBTV Features Heart Math Tutoring on QC Morning
- 2023/24 Volunteer Recruitment Kickoff- Sign up to tutor today!
- Meet HMT Program Coordinators Cara Maddox & Heather Smith!
- Interested in tutoring with HMT in Winston-Salem? Here’s what you can expect from sign up to startup!